Differences between general and technical communication
Communication is important not only in the organization but also in one’s daily life. It is an integral part of daily activity . When an alarm clock goes off , it is communication through sound , urging one to get out of bed . When one feels loyal towards a particular brand of toothpaste , it is possible that the television (TV) commercials for that brand have been successful in communicating the message , Watching news on TV , Saying goodbye to one’s family , or calling a cab and giving directions are all different types of communication.
At the workplace , all activities revolve around oral or written communication . Interacting with one’s boss , reading the newspaper at home , or even dreaming in one’s sleep are all examples of communication.
Messages that are non-technical of informal in nature are categorized as general – purpose communication , whereas messages pertaining or technical , industrial , business matters belong to the category of technical or business communication .
Difference between general and technical communication
Also read :- Importance Of technical communication • Contains a general message
• Informal in style and approach
• No set pattern of communication
• Mostly oral
• Not always for a specific audience
• Does not involve the use of technical vocabulary or graphics etc
• Contains a technical message
• Mostly formal
• Follows a set pattern
• Both oral and written
• Always for a specific audience
• Frequently involves jargon , graphics etc
Tips of effective Communication
Constant practice and rigorous implementation of these ideas will help you become an excellent communicator.
• Create an open communication environment
• Always keep the receiver in mind
• Avoid having too many transfer stations
• Be aware of diversity in culture , language etc
• Use of appropriate non verbal cues.
• Select the most suitable medium
• Analyse the feedback
• Do not communicate when you are emotionally disturbed.